Party Wall matters

A party wall is a wall that separates two adjoining houses standing astride a boundary. The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 controls building work carried out to the party wall in terms of repairing, raising or altering.

In addition, if you are thinking of extending your premises close to or adjacent to the boundary wall with your neighbours and these works fall within a 3-6m line of the adjoining owner’s premises you will also need to serve notice under the Act.

If your building works involve forming a basement, loft extension, extensions to your property or internal alterations requiring works to the party wall, then it is likely you will need to inform your neighbours by serving notice.

Serving notice legally protects the building owner and their neighbours. The neighbours can then decide whether to agree (an informal arrangement) or dissent, which will prompt the provisions of the Act.

If the works cause any damage to the neighbouring property a specific defects inspection and report will be implemented arranging for rectification.